Subtle is a subtitling application designed and built for professional use. It tries to comply with all the needs of a professional translator and the field industry standards.
This project was initiated as a GSoC project in 2006. After some time, the project developer left and the project became frozen. The current project developer was looking for a multiplatform opensource subtitling solution when he came across Souffleur (the project former name) and decided to pick up the project from where it was left.
Since there was no history on the real project intentions other then its main goal, this current maintainer has given new directions to it and the project became what it is now.
We are struggling to get the first binary release. I have made too many promises about dates before, so right now I wil stick to this year dead line, after all, we all have jobs, wifes, kids ... :)
- Online mode and editing mode to ease the revision process
- Configurable hotkeys for almost everything
- Detachable panels to ease the work on multiple screens
- Support for as many subtitle formats as possible (in the near future, not only text based)
- Embedded player using GStreamer with slow motion features and fast forward
- Spell checker using several dictionary backends
- High precision frame based or time based spotting
- SubRip (.srt)
- OggKate (currently being worked on)
- Softni (not yet implemented)
- CMML (not yet implemented)
For those who want to dive into the wild of alpha testing, here is the svn location
For those interested on Souffleur (the old version)
- Joao Mesquita - Main developer
- Mariana Zir - Professional translator that is helping to specify the software
- ogg.k.ogg.k - Developing support for OggKate