The theora-exp implementation has many promising new features, but needs some help:
- the encoder doesn't work very well. Ask derf in #theora on irc.freenode.net for how to get started.
- it needs some release engineering so people can start using the decoder library libtheoradec
- make it go faster!
libtheora reference implementation
The libtheora reference implementation is in beta.
Items pending before final release:
- Improve api documentation
- Complete Ogg mapping description in the spec
- Update RTP mapping spec
- Check build support on more platforms, particularly MSVC and Apple's XCode
- Figure out how to expose the improved theora-exp API (libtheoradec, libtheoraenc, etc.)
This implementation can also use a lot more optimization.
Other notable things that would be nice to have:
- integrate VS MMX patches from Nils Pipenbrinck and VS project files
- fix all libtheora tickets in the trac
- integrate debugging telemetry from theora-thusnelda
- update binaries of ffmpeg2theora, XiphQT and Directshow Filters (includig fix for bug 1262 and 1301)
Easy Transcoding on Windows
It's difficult for some people to create theora files outside the command line. We need a simple tool that does drag-and-drop transcoding, with a gui for metadata and license marking, and some simple cleanup like crop/scale/rotate and color adjustment. This could be just a wrapper around ffmpeg2theora.
Albeit technically it would be possible (and simple) to do GUI wrapper for ffmpeg2theora it may be wiser to write a completely new application which uses DirectShow to decode the given media file. This way the encoder wouldn't have to ship with evil patented decoders and still can transcode any source the computer can play in e.g. Windows Media Player. - Maikmerten 12:06, 30 July 2007 (PDT)
It is important that content creators be able to easily create theora videos.
- write a stand-alone output encoder plugin that does best-practices export
- do a gui transcode tool, a little like ffmpeg2theora, but pulling from the native quicktime decoders and writing out theora + vorbis/speex. Must have a drag and drop interface with sensible quality presets, metadata insertion. Bonus points for integrated stream sourcing and upload to various free sharing sites with appropriate CC licensing.
- Theora "the push for 1.0" update and Theora: The push for 1.0, Thusnelda project update 20080320: xiphmont articles on theora future.