The theora-exp implementation has many promising new features, but needs some help:
- the encoder doesn't work very well. Ask derf in #theora on irc.freenode.net for how to get started.
- it needs some release engineering so people can start using the decoder library libtheoradec
- make it go faster!
Fix libtheora decoder
There are still some features missing from the libtheora reference decoder. See Theora:Beta1ToDo for details.
This implementation can also use a lot more optimization.
It is important that content creators be able to easily create ogg theora videos.
- extend current xiph-qt components to allow encoding from qt applications
- write a stand-alone output encoder plugin that does best-practices export
- do a gui transcode tool, a little like ffmpeg2theora, but pulling from the native quicktime decoders and writing out ogg theora + vorbis/speex. Must have a drag and drop interface with sensible quality presets, metadata insertion. Bonus points for integrated stream sourcing and upload to various free sharing sites with appropriate CC licensing.