Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 18:10, 6 February 2015 by Daala-ts (→Speex is deprecated; Xiph recommends you use Opus instead: Add a period)
Speex is deprecated; Xiph recommends you use Opus instead.
The Speex homepage has all the project info.
There is also a Speex FAQ.
See Speex hardware for a partial list of supported hardware
These are some improvements that could be made to Speex.
Let us know if you'd like to work on one of them.
- Speech/signal processing (DSP design)
- Improve noise suppression (get rid of musical noise) and residual echo suppression
- Improve packet-loss concealment (PLC)
- Re-write the built-in voice activity detector (VAD)
- Improve the 2.15 kbps vocoder mode (there are even 4 unused bits left to use)
- Algorithmic optimizations (see if some searches can be simplified/approximated)
- Complete fixed-point (DSP development)
- Rest of the narrowband modes
- Preprocessor (noise suppression, AGC)
- Jitter buffer
- Arch-specific optimization
- Tune (playing with parameters)
- Noise weighting filter
- Perceptual enhancement
- Features (plain C programming)
- Implement maximum VBR bit-rate
- Implement peeling (write functions to strip some of the bits)
- Peel high-band (wideband -> narrowband)
- Transform 24.6 kbps mode to 15 kbps mode
- Use questions from the mailing list to create a better FAQ on the wiki
- Update the Speex manual based on recent papers
- Improve libspeex documentation
- Write good example code