Opus release planning
This page is for organizing todo items for the initial opus release. Some items would best be dribbled out after the initial release while others are more release critical (tools binaries, test vectors, examples)
- Re-include base64 and sha1
Release management / marketing work
- Get packages of opus and opus-tools working for major GNU/Linux distros (
debian, fedora, gentoo, ubuntu?, suse?, arch?, alpine?, mint?)
- Ogg Opus test vectors
- More 'brochure' level text about Opus and its advantages
- More images/graphs/art for the site (PEAQ sweeps?)
Overhaul of the comparative page
- FAQ (in progress: OpusFAQ)
- demo pages
- Bunch of samples at varius bit-rates
- static demo with music, voice; like this one
- remote control encoder (oneman)
- emscripten decoder
- A recording of a remote jamming event (bemasc)
- update Greg's CELT try-tool for libopus
- Son-of-Monty-CELT-demo (An in-the-weeds technology demo)
- This may actually need to be a series of two, one covering LP mode and one covering hybrid and the rest of the system.
Improved documentation (e.g. an API overview doc that isn't a doxygen dump), "idiots guide to using libopus"
Rename "celt-dev" mailing list to "opus"
- Misuse the Opus API and open bugs on the symptoms close them with a description of the triggering misuse.
- Client applications beyond Firefox, esp VLC and foobar2000. See OPUS TODO for a list.
- Icecast release with opus support patch here
- Expanding this list
- fix remaining fixed point overflows (gmaxwell/jmspeex)
- Make opus_custom_demo read/write little endian on BE hosts.
- Boring standard makefiles for many systems (VMS too? haha)
- Oggdropish GUI for opusenc
- Additional tools (validator, gain, udp streaming example)
- libao for opus-tools
- LP-mode CBR (boundary conditions, iterations, harmonic average)
- Fix -fstack-protector-all (e.g. mingw32) or remove it
MIN32/MAX32 used stupidly in celt/ where the arguments evaluated twice.
why does --speech + 24kbit make opus tools code stereo where its mono without speech?
- make test_opus_encode test more stupidly low rates.
- random duration for the first/last frame in opus-tools
- Activity CTL
- short block high rate waste in mdct mode
(mdct mode) silence detection
- Prod the second implementation (Tim's) into something (quasi-)releasable
Third party software
- Support in ekiga
- Support in mumble
- Support in asterisk
Support in icecast
- Support in firefox (rtcweb
and in ogg) (OggOpus/audio tag done)
Support in VLC
- Support in ogg123
Support in ffmpeg
- Support in libav
Support in rockbox
Support in foobar2000
Support in gstreamer
- Support in mplayer
- Support in xmms
- Support in oggdsf
- Support in xiphqt
- Support in RoarAudio (specs + roard + libroardsp)