This is an overview of the Daala project roadmap. Information on this page is highly subject to update and change. Please help reach out to us if you are interested in contributing to the project. We would love your help!
Plans for 2014
Plans for September, 2013 to March, 2014
Improve existing techniques
Examining and significantly modifying some of the basic coding tools within Daala to improve efficiency and quality:
1) Lapped Transforms
2) Frequency Domain Intraprediction
3) Time/Frequency resolution switching
4) Chroma from Luma
5) Motion Compensation tools
Research new techniques
Investigate the following to see if they should be adopted into Daala:
1) Edge-directed Interpolation
2) Multi-frame Motion Compensation
1) Experiment with command-line encode/decode/performance tools
- Help people try the codec
- Improvement metrics for casual contributors to verify changes
2) Prototype RTP in GIPS/webrtc.org/browser code
3) Prototype HTTP streaming.
Plans for March, 2014 to September, 2014
From March, 2014 to June, 2014: Tuning the various coding tools and components of Daala (assumes investigation and major modifications of the basic coding tools are completed)
By September, 2014: Be able to show significant quality improvements compared to Daala's performance today (September, 2013).
Progress and planning tools we'll use along the way:
- Every 6-8 weeks the team will report on what he has accomplished.
- Every month the team will create a detailed task list of what they plan to do for that month.