The licensing conditions of the Xiph.Org Foundation's Wiki grants free access to our content in the same sense as free software is licensed freely. That is to say, the content may be copied, modified, and redistributed so long as the new version acknowledges the authors of the XiphWiki article used (a direct link back to the article satisfies our author credit requirement). XiphWiki articles therefore will remain free forever and can be used by anybody subject to certain restrictions, most of which serve to ensure that freedom.
What this means is that for software production you are free to use XiphWiki content under the New BSD License and, for everything else, you are free to use XiphWiki content under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
Under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License you are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web site.
- Any of the above conditions may be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
- Nothing in this license will impair or restrict the author's moral rights.
This is a human-readable summary of the Legal Code. To view a copy of the license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
New BSD License
The New BSD License states that:
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms [of this work], with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the copyright notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the copyright notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer in the documentation, and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the Xiph.Org Foundation nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this work without specific prior written permission.
THIS WORK IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FOUNDATION OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS WORK, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Fair use and other rights / Trademark Ownership
Your fair dealing and other rights are in no way affected by the above.
All trademarks mentioned in the XiphWiki are owned by their respective trademark holders.