This is a list of hardware of all categories, from chipsets to ready-to-use products, that support Ogg Theora.
Hardware support status for Ogg Theora is a new thing, but it seems it's sometimes included even if not advertised. If you can't find a suitable player come back next week, or ask your vendor if they could add support.
If you know of any hardware or projects that are not yet mentioned here, please add them to the list.
These players support Ogg Theora either out of the box or after a firmware upgrade.
- KiSS DP-1500. Not advertising, but reportedly supports playback of Ogg Theora. Probably other KiSS products, too?
The Elphel 333 can encode a Theora stream.
Currently there is a hardware decoder implementation being developed. The Google Summer Of Code 2006 (author's university projects page) began to produce an FPGA decoder implementation in VHDL and now there is another "Summer Of Code 2007" project (description) to work on it together with another independent developer.
Here are two presentations that the author of the SOC 2006 proposal presented in his University:
- The first idea of implementation is shown on this presentation: Theora Hardware Decoding
- Video Encoding: Basic Principles
Architecture and current state of development
- Felipe Portavales Goldstein (portavales at gmail) - Website
- Leonardo de Paula Rosa Piga (leonardo.piga at gmail) - Website
- Andre Costa
- Theora Hardware: List of hardware-players supporting Ogg Theora
- TheoraSoftwarePlayers: List of media players that can play Ogg Theora
- TheoraSoftwareEncoders: List of software that can encode to Ogg Theora
- TheoraDecoders: List of decoder implementations
- TheoraEncoders: List of encoder implementations
- List of Theora videos: Get some files to see what the codec's like
- Games that use Theora: List of known games that use Theora
- TheoraTestsuite: Different samples to test player compliance
- Vorbis Hardware