The theora-exp implementation has many promising new features, but needs some help:
- the encoder doesn't work very well. Ask derf in #theora on irc.freenode.net for how to get started.
- it needs some release engineering so people can start using the decoder library libtheoradec
- make it go faster!
Fix libtheora decoder
This implementation can also use a lot more optimization.
Update: libtheora now has a feature complete decoder based on theora-exp. - Maikmerten 12:02, 30 July 2007 (PDT)
Fix bugs. Empty or broken output is generated on _some_ input. Also there is a regression from 0.17 to 0.18. Test movie (145 KiB)  10 frames, 1 fps, HuffYUV inside AVI. 0.17 works, 0.18 and 0.19 seem to always break frame 1 (starting at 0) when transcoding from HuffYUV.
Encode from collection of frames (BMP or PNG). This would avoid the need to use MENCODER and HuffYUV before FFMPEG2THEORA.
Easy Transcoding on Windows
It's difficult for some people to create theora files outside the command line. We need a simple tool that does drag-and-drop transcoding, with a gui for metadata and license marking, and some simple cleanup like crop/scale/rotate and color adjustment. This could be just a wrapper around ffmpeg2theora.
Albeit technically it would be possible (and simple) to do GUI wrapper for ffmpeg2theora it may be wiser to write a completely new application which uses DirectShow to decode the given media file. This way the encoder wouldn't have to ship with evil patented decoders and still can transcode any source the computer can play in e.g. Windows Media Player. - Maikmerten 12:06, 30 July 2007 (PDT)
It is important that content creators be able to easily create ogg theora videos.
- extend current xiph-qt components to allow encoding from qt applications. Arek has now done some work in this direction.
- write a stand-alone output encoder plugin that does best-practices export
- do a gui transcode tool, a little like ffmpeg2theora, but pulling from the native quicktime decoders and writing out ogg theora + vorbis/speex. Must have a drag and drop interface with sensible quality presets, metadata insertion. Bonus points for integrated stream sourcing and upload to various free sharing sites with appropriate CC licensing.