Summer of Code 2008
Students please use the template at Summer of Code Applications when applying for a GSoC position.
Mentors please visit Summer of Code Mentoring and help us prepare our application as a mentoring organization.
We need a primary and backup mentor volunteer for any project that is to become an official proposal, but submit something and we'll see who we can round up. :)
Project ideas go here
- Transcode/Tag/Upload tool for Theora et al. (ideally as a firefox extension so web cms integration is easy)
- Theora encoding support in GIMP
- Speex support in IceS
- Better stream source gui for dvswitch
- Multiplexing support (so one can play audio from video files)
- Isn't this already done with the vorbisfile support in 1.2.0?
- XSPF support in ogg123, other players
- Initial support for OggPCM in some of our tools
- OggMNG tools
Detailed Project Description
Mv_Embed: Accessibility and [re]usability:
Proposed Development: Mv_Embed will be enhanced around two goals integration into prominent open source Content Management Systems and better accessibility of close captions and associative video metadata.
Mv_Embed will integrate into existing CMS video extensions for quick "one-off" ogg theora support.
- FilmForge (Drupal)
- ShowInABox (Wordpress)
- Plumi (Plone)
Additional server side components like transcoding to theora, generating thumbnails, and exporting metadata will also be developed. Where time / resources permit server side hooks into ffmepg2theora (for transcoding) and mplayer (for generating thumbnails) will be developed for the CMS systems as well. As OggPusher matures simple hooks will be added to the CMS's to support direct ogg theora clip uploads.
Mentor: Michael Dale ... or anyone else with more experience with firefox extensions/ffmpeg2theora ?
Features for initial Release:
- A .xpi extension based on ffmpeg2theoa that supports uploading of local files of any type that ffmpeg accepts.
- Supports two modes of operation
- zero server side config where oggPusher just gives the option of uploading theora video where it finds a form file input type.
- server side config where the server/service hooks into oggPusher for extra functionality, like resuming transferrer and status updates integrated with the web application.
Future Feature RoadMap: Once the basic implementation has been deployed the following features will be targeted for future versions:
- Integration with popular open source CMS's first target is mediaWiki.
- Hooks for connecting into "live" interfaces such as firewire digital video input or USB web cams.
- Extend oggfwd and server side components for in browser live streaming to web services.
- Extend to support ffmpeg2Dirac and future open source media codecs.
- Enable Bittorrent uploads
Guidelines for Applying
Remember that many people will apply to work on the Summer of Code.
Keep in mind that those of us evaluating your application do not know you, we do not know what kind of experience you have, we do not know what you have done in the past and we have to pick the best people suited for a particular task.
Hence, it is very important that you tell us in your email why you should be considered to implement a particular project. Please use the application template at Summer of Code Applications as a starting point.