Spread Open Media/en/Why Open Media Matters
Compare it to the popular formats
- Free formats have the same or better quality compared with proprietary ones like MP3 or Flash.
- You can share media files across P2P and different operating systems, and it will work on those computers because the specification of the formats are open.
- No matter your needs, be it music, speech, video, playlists, or slideshows: open media will cover them.
- You can save your bandwidth in case you author podcasts or stream content, and those will have better quality than when using proprietary formats.
Choose it over the popular formats
- You can use, modify, and distribute free software for open formats without needing permission from (or paying royalties to) software patent holders.
- The license on open formats cannot be changed or revoked. No matter what happens, you will still be in control of your own content.
- Similarly, the art and music you purchase, own, or download can be stored in open formats without any worries over future intellectual property restrictions.
- Whenever you buy music or videos online with open media, you will know they won't be crippled with DRM.
Tell your friends
- If you help spread the word, then you will see more support and compatibility in portable players, which will benefit everyone.
- The more people that use open media, the better formats you can expect in the future, so if you use open media you are making the world a little bit of a better place.