Spread Open Media/en/Why Open Media Matters
- Free formats have the same or better quality compared with proprietary ones like MP3 or Flash.
- You can share media files across P2P and different operating systems, and it will work on those computers because the specification of the formats are open.
- No matter your needs, be it music, speech, video, playlists, or slideshows: open media will cover them.
- If you help spread the word, then you will see more support and compatibility in portable players, which will benefit everyone.
- You can buy music or videos online, and they won't be crippled with DRM.
- You can use, modify, and distribute Free software for open formats without needing permission from (or paying royalties to) software patent holders.
- You can save your bandwidth in case you author podcasts or stream content, and those will have better quality than when using proprietary formats.
- The more people that use open media, the better formats you can expect in the future, so if you use open media you are making the world a little bit of a better place.