Spread Open Media
Spread Open Media (or SOM) is a project to promote the different Xiph.Org Foundation formats. You may help create or edit content in the official site by making edits in this wiki.
Why Open Media Matters
- You can use, modify, and distribute Free software for open formats without needing permission from (or paying royalties to) software patent holders.
- It has equal or better quality compared with formats that stuff DRM up your nose and get you sued in court.
- You can share media files across P2P and different operating systems, and it will work on those computers because the specification of the formats are open.
- No matter your needs, be it music, speech, video, playlists, or slideshows: open media will cover them.
- If you help spread the word, then you will see more support and compatibility in portable players, which will benefit everyone.
- You can buy music or videos online, and they won't be crippled with DRM.
- You can save your bandwidth in case you author podcasts or stream content, and those will have better quality than when using proprietary formats.
- The more people that use open media, the better formats you can expect in the future, so if you use open media you are making the world a little bit of a better place.
- It's one of those little things that make you feel happier.
- We'll lose our job if you don't use open media, and if we lose our job, I'll shoot this little bunny that I'm holding right now. I'M SERIOUS; DON'T MAKE ME KILL THE LITTLE BUNNY.
- (DONE) Get accounts to key developers
- (DONE) Fill out this wiki with information from our discussions and slides
- Explanation of what spread open media is and what not (in multiple languages?)
- Examples of best practices such as an interview I did with SJ Klein for the OLPC
- Clear and concise description / definition for open media formats, until now I focussed on using Bruce Perens' Open Standards definition (ivo)
- Tutorials about using / creating open media on multiple platforms
- When all accomplished, launch PR + news posting about this release (cameron)
- blog 10 posts using the tags and standards setup (Cameron + Jon + Bjorn + Ivo)
- A nice looking theme for the website (keep multiple languages in mind?)
- Wordpress theme based on mockup by Ivo and Sebastian Kraft's pirate-smile logo (IVO)
- Prepare initial promotional campaigns.
- Add your point here!
- Add your point here!