It can be used to create an Internet radio station or a privately-running jukebox and many things in between.
It is very versatile in that new formats can be added relatively easily and supports open standards for communication and interaction.
Icecast is distributed under the GNU GPL, version 2.
- Icecast Server/Getting Started
- Icecast Server/Git workflow
- Icecast Server/Installing latest version (official Xiph repositories)
- Icecast Server/Release Checklist
- Icecast Server/Setup Windows Service
- Icecast Server/Streaming WebM to Icecast with FFmpeg
- Icecast Server/Streaming to Icecast with Audio Hjack
- Icecast Server/Streaming to Icecast with Nicecast
- Icecast Server/TODO
- Icecast Server/YP-protocol-v2
- Icecast Server/known https restrictions
- Icecast Server/known reverse proxy restrictions
- Icecast homepage
- Stream directory
- Icecast mailing list archive - You can search or browse Icecast user discussions here.
- Icecast developer mailing list archive - You can search or browse Icecast discussions on icecast development here.
- Inofficial Icecast forum
You can find more information about the development workflow on a dedicated wiki page.
As good ideas are never a waste (and for tracking purposes) please list all the features you're missing in the icecast trunk as separate tickets on trac.xiph.org.
Note: please check that the feature you request is not already in trunk before posting!