Daala is the codename for a new video compression technology.
The goal of the project is to provide a video format that's free to implement, use and distribute, and a reference implementation with technical performance superior to H.265.
Please see the links below or the main page for more information.
- Digital Primers - educational videos about audio/video technology
You are encouraged to join the
- #daala IRC channel at freenode.net
- If you don't have an IRC client, you can use Freenode' webchat instead.
- Daala Email List
You are also welcome to attend the weekly progress meetings by installing and using Mumble.
The address is mf4.xiph.org and the port is 64738 (you can run mumble://mf4.xiph.org:64738 within your browser as a shortcut).
The meetings occur on Tuesdays at 9AM Pacific Time (5PM UTC/GMT). The meeting agenda can be found at this Etherpad.
- Xiph Code Reviews - there is a proposal on the review process here
- Monty's Demo Pages - explanations on certain techniques used in Daala
- Daala's issues - Issue/bug tracker on Github
- Daala Project Status Board - what Daala bits the Mozilla people are working on
- Daala Etherpads - you can request a free account to view these. You should receive access within a few days.
- Daala T-shirts - if you'd like a free one, help out with the project and ask the Mozilla guys nicely for one :-)
- Doom9 Forum discussion - generic forum thread regarding Daala
- Daala Video Player
- Edge-Directed Interpolation - source code
- More Edge-Directed Interpolation
- Chroma from Luma (CfL)
- Perceptual Vector Quantisation (PVQ)
- Overlapped Block Motion Compensation (OBMC)
- C API Documentation
- Image Coding Thesis by Yushin Cho
- Maximising Coding Efficiency Through Block Rotation and why it won't work well within Daala
- JMSpeex' Journal of Dubious Theoretical Results - "take with an entire shaker-full of salt"
- Time-Domain Lapped Transforms (TDLT) - documents the Lapped Transform pre- and post-filters used for block-edge decorrelation
- Perceptual Vector Quantisation (PVQ) -
- Coding Tools - documents Entropy Coding, Integer Transforms and other techniques
- Internet Video Codec (NetVC) Requirements - explains what requirements and use cases Daala is trying to cater for
- Internet Video Codec (NetVC) Testing and Quality Measurement
- Example IPR Licence Terms
- 2015-03-24 IETF 92 NetVC Meeting - Audio as Opus (29MB) or MP3 (119MB, action starts at 14:50) - Slides - Notes - Jabber Log
- 2015-02-11 SPIE talks:
- 2015-01-31 Daala Project Update at FOSDEM 2015 - summary - Slides
- 2015-01-14 Linux Conf 2015 - presentation summary - Slides
- 2014-09-16 Daala: Are We Compressed Yet?
- 2014-06-25 Sparsity Induced Prediction for Images and Video
- 2014-06-06 VP9 Summit (no video available) - Slides
- 2013-10-23 Opus and Daala: State of the Art Royalty-free Codecs - Slides
- 2013-09-30 Daala Coding Party 2 - Slides
- 2013-05-02 Tim Terriberry Presents Daala