Daala is the codename for a new video compression technology.
The goal of the project is to provide a video format that's free to implement, use and distribute, and a reference implementation with technical performance superior to H.265.
Please see the links below or the main page for more information.
- Digital Primers - educational videos about audio/video technology
You are encouraged to join the
- #daala IRC channel at freenode.net - if you don't have an IRC client, you can use Freenode's webchat instead.
- Daala Email List
You are also welcome to attend the public weekly progress meetings by installing and using Mumble.
The address is mf4.xiph.org and the port is 64738 (you can run mumble://mf4.xiph.org:64738 within your browser as a shortcut).
The meetings occur on Tuesdays at 9AM Pacific Time (5PM UTC/GMT). The meeting agenda used to be available at this Etherpad, the October 13, 2015 meeting is available on Google Docs and, following the migration to Etherpad Lite, the meeting agenda and minutes are now available at this Etherpad.
- Doom9 Forum discussion - generic forum thread regarding Daala
Daala Etherpads - you can request a free account to view these. You should receive access within a few days.Mozilla are transitioning to Etherpad Lite.
- Daala Project Status Board - what Daala bits the Mozilla people are working on
- Xiph Code Reviews - there is a proposal on the review process here
- Daala's issues - Issue/bug tracker on Github
- Continuous Integration Tests - these run every time a new commit is made to the Daala git master, to make sure the new code hasn't broken existing functionality.
- OggDaala - definitions for embedding Daala video within an Ogg container.
- Demo Articles - explanations on certain techniques used in Daala (and other Xiph.Org projects)
- Edge-Directed Interpolation (source code)
- More Edge-Directed Interpolation
- Macroblock Coefficient Zigzag Graph - HTML page generated using tools/draw_zigzags.c from the Daala source code.
- Chroma from Luma (CfL)
- Perceptual Vector Quantisation (PVQ)
- Overlapped Block Motion Compensation (OBMC)
- C API Documentation
- Image Coding Thesis by Yushin Cho
- Maximising Coding Efficiency Through Block Rotation and why it won't work well within Daala
- JMSpeex' Journal of Dubious Theoretical Results - "take with an entire shaker-full of salt"
- Using Daala Intra Frames for Still Picture Coding
- The Daala Directional Deringing Filter
- Time-Domain Lapped Transforms (TDLT) - documents the Lapped Transform pre- and post-filters used for block-edge decorrelation
- Perceptual Vector Quantisation (PVQ) -
- Coding Tools - documents Entropy Coding, Integer Transforms and other techniques
- Internet Video Codec (NetVC) Requirements - explains what requirements and use cases Daala is trying to cater for
- Internet Video Codec (NetVC) Testing and Quality Measurement
- Example IPR Licence Terms
Additional drafts can be found at the IETF DataTracker.
- 2016-04-01 - DCC 2016 - Slides - Paper
- 2016-01-30 - FOSDEM 2016 - Summary - Video (MP4, 57MB) - Slides
- 2015-10-24 - LinuxDay 24 (Turin) - Slides
- 2015-10-21 - MPEG 113 - Future Video Coding Workshop - Slides
- 2015-09-19 - VideoLAN Dev Days - YouTube Playlist - Daala Slides
- 2015-07-22 - IETF 93 - NetVC Session 2/2 - Agenda - Video and Chat - Slides - Jabber Log
- 2015-07-20 - IETF 93 - NetVC Session 1/2 - Agenda - Video and Chat - Slides - Jabber Log
- 2015-03-24 - IETF 92 - NetVC Session - Audio as Opus (29MB) or MP3 (119MB, action starts at 14:50) - Slides - Notes - Jabber Log
- 2015-02-11 - SPIE talks:
- 2015-01-31 - Daala Project Update at FOSDEM 2015 - summary - Slides
- 2015-01-14 - Linux Conf 2015 - presentation summary - Slides
- 2014-09-16 - Daala: Are We Compressed Yet?
- 2014-06-25 - Sparsity Induced Prediction for Images and Video
- 2014-06-06 - VP9 Summit (no video available) - Slides
- 2013-10-23 - Opus and Daala: State of the Art Royalty-free Codecs - Slides
- 2013-09-30 - Daala Coding Party 2 - Slides
- 2013-05-02 - Tim Terriberry Presents Daala