XML Shareable Playlist Format (XSPF), pronounced "spiff", is a next-generation playlist format for digital media such as songs in Vorbis or MP3 format. This wiki is for developers.
The mime type for XSPF playlists is application/xspf+xml.
Spec is at http://www.xspf.org/specs/
These are applications which support XSPF and have not yet been added to the main applications list:
- You have to be a member and to select "XSPF" in your preferences to use them by default, but you can look and test a sample playlist here: http://www.jamendo.com/get/track/id/album/audio/xspf/1003/?aue=ogg2
- Project Opus http://projectopus.com
- see http://www.projectopus.com/new-player for details
- includes modified version of Fabricio's player
"We added: A Scrubber/Shuttle so the lister can move the playhead to any point along the song. Time Remaining, Elapsed Time Played, Genre of Song, Origin/Location (city) of artist. Site specific stuff which my not be of interest to others is: Review song link: we were adding as a layer to the player but, it got too large and ugly. Buy song link. And a bunch of nice styling/skin tweaks."
- trend of XSLT for xspf to html example
- http://dokerlund.edhsweb.org/wordpress/archives/23 is announce
- http://dokerlund.edhsweb.org/wordpress/xspf/media/playlist.xml is in practice
- Zuardi player modified to support FLV and SWF as well as mp3: http://blitz-xplore.blogspot.com/2006/05/file-xspfplayer.html
Limited supporting applications
- foo_xspf - writes xspf files only with location. So the goal of playlist sharing between friends is not achieved.
- RoarAudio PlayList Daemon - no read support yet.
Non supporting applications listed as supporting
- http://php4xspf.berlios.de/ - From their page: Note: The classes are stil in alpha and do not incorporate ... even the possibility to parse a XSPF file.
- XSPF FAQ
- XSPF v1 Notes and Errata
- XSPF Year 2009
- XSPF Conformance Tests
- XSPF Wish List
- XSPF Examples in the wild
- List of known XSPF extensions
- List of known XSPF metas
- JSPF (JSON Sharable Playlist Format a.k.a. XSPF on JSON)