libtheora reference implementation
During TheoraMeeting200804 it was stated that before 1.0, the following should happen:
- figure out how to expose the improved theora-exp API (libtheoradec, libtheoraenc, etc.)
- rewrite the API documentation
- think a bit more about the logo and its use policy
- integrate VS MMX patches and VS project files from Nils Pipenbrinck
- check build support on more platforms, particularly MSVC and Apple's XCode
- fix all Theora tickets in the trac
No date for 1.0 release was set as it is not clear if anything else needs to be done.
- Improve theora-thusnelda an make it the reference implementation: see Theora "the push for 1.0" update and Theora: The push for 1.0, Thusnelda project update 20080320: xiphmont articles on theora future (actually, this will be in libtheora 1.1 not 1.0)
- complete Ogg mapping description in the spec
- update RTP mapping spec
- see Theora: The push for 1.0, Thusnelda project update 20080320 (beyond 1.0 spec section) and Theora "the push for 1.0" update: xiphmont articles on theora future
Easy Transcoding on Windows
It's difficult for some people to create theora files outside the command line. We need a simple tool that does drag-and-drop transcoding, with a gui for metadata and license marking, and some simple cleanup like crop/scale/rotate and color adjustment. This could be just a wrapper around ffmpeg2theora.
Albeit technically it would be possible (and simple) to do GUI wrapper for ffmpeg2theora it may be wiser to write a completely new application which uses DirectShow to decode the given media file. This way the encoder wouldn't have to ship with evil patented decoders and still can transcode any source the computer can play in e.g. Windows Media Player. - Maikmerten 12:06, 30 July 2007 (PDT)
It is important that content creators be able to easily create theora videos.
- write a stand-alone output encoder plugin that does best-practices export
- do a gui transcode tool, a little like ffmpeg2theora, but pulling from the native quicktime decoders and writing out theora + vorbis/speex. Must have a drag and drop interface with sensible quality presets, metadata insertion. Bonus points for integrated stream sourcing and upload to various free sharing sites with appropriate CC licensing.