Daala is the codename for a new video compression technology.
The goal of the project is to provide a video format that's free to implement, use and distribute, and a reference implementation with technical performance superior to H.265.
Please see the links below or the main page for more information.
- Daala Quickstart (Linux/MacOS)
- Daala Quickstart (Windows)
- Daala Weekly Meetings
- Daala To-do List
- Daala Roadmap
- Intra-prediction within Daala
You are encouraged to join the
- Xiph Code Reviews - there is a proposal on the review process here
- Monty's Demo Pages - explanations on certain techniques used in Daala
- Daala's issues - Issue/bug tracker on Github
- Daala Project Status Board - what Daala bits the Mozilla people are working on
- Daala Etherpads - you can request a free account to view these. You should receive access within a few days.
- Daala T-shirts - if you'd like a free one, help out with the project and ask the Mozilla guys nicely for one :-)
- Coding Tools for Daala IETF Draft
- Time-Domain Lapped Transforms (TDLT) IETF Draft
- Perceptual Vector Quantisation (PVQ) IETF Draft - there is also a PDF file
- Chroma from Luma (CfL)
- C API Documentation
- Maximising Coding Efficiency Through Block Rotation - why it won't work well within Daala
- 2015-03-24 IETF 92 NetVC Meeting - Audio (mp3, 119MB, action starts at about 14:50) - Slides - Notes - Jabber Log
- 2015-02-11 SPIE talk about Chroma from Luma (video not available yet) - slides
- 2015-01-31 Daala Project Update at FOSDEM 2015 - summary - slides
- 2015-01-14 Tim Terriberry's presentation at Linux Conf 2015 - presentation summary - slides
- 2014-09-16 Daala: Are We Compressed Yet?
- 2014-06-25 Sparsity Induced Prediction for Images and Video
- 2013-10-23 Opus and Daala: State of the Art Royalty-free Codecs - accompanying slides
- 2013-09-30 Daala Coding Party 2 - unlord's slides
- 2013-05-02 Tim Terriberry Presents Daala